07 April 2014

my first milk paint project


Here's the result of my first attempt at using Miss Mustard Seeds Milk Paint.

The piece I chose to paint was a stool I got years ago for my boys....you know the kind.... a mass produced one with a wood top and white legs.


Here's some things I learned.....

First off I want to say that I didn't do anything but wipe down the stool....I didn't sand or use TSP or anything like that. 

Milk paint was quite different to work with than any other paint I've used. I did like the consistency quite a bit....it actually looks rather watery and like it won't cover much....but to my surprise it covered much better than I thought it would.

You need surprisingly little....I used 1 oz. of powdered milk paint to paint this stool....twice!

As you can see in the photos....if the surface hasn't been prepared (sanded), or you haven't added bonding agent to your mixed paint, then your paint will most definitely chip away. I didn't have any bonding agent and I was too impatient to order some and wait....so I just went ahead and painted.

After the paint dried, I used my hand to brush all the flaky paint off....it comes off rather easily.

Then I waxed the piece with clear wax followed by dark wax....and this is the result.

I haven't decided if I'll keep the stool like it is now....or order some more milk paint and try it again using the bonding agent. As I said before, I did like the way it went on and I loved the color.....(I used Grain Sack).....but I think a less chippy finish would fit in better with my style.

Stay tuned!

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it, if I saw this for sale I would snap it up so quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely gorgeous!!! How are you sweet Andrea? I have missed keeping up with your lovely posts!!
    Have a great night!
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMS milk paint is so much fun to use, Andrea! You never know how the piece will chip or how much it will flake. All part of the fun! I love how your stool turned out, though!! I my world, the chippier the better! Gives such a sense of history..... :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so great. I am going to try the milk paint on a cabinet so I hope I will get good results too. The stool looks great.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how it turned out. I want to try her white wax but I really like ASCP so I do not know if I will ever try the paint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I really enjoy using paint that has personality like MMS Milk Paint and ASCP. I love how your stool turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it - I think you did a great job. I ordered MMS Milk Paint ages ago and haven't tried it yet - been kinda scared, haha. That stool is so neat, I love it all chippy like that. : - )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonjour,

    J'aime beaucoup le rendu de votre tabouret. Vous avez bien réussi ce travail.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never used milk paint in a powder form, but have used a ready mixed which you buff with wire wool. It didn't give such a chippy effect, but I think I would use both. The stool is definitely my kind of look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way it looks. I've never used (or heard of) milk paint before but will look out for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great!! Good job. i have never used that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE it! Leave it just like that! I love that it chipped so well - the paint doesn't always chip even if you haven't done any prep work or added bonding agent. It just does its thing and you never know what you might get from it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore it, so much chalky charm.
    I so have a thing for benches...I do make my own chalk paint and have for so many years, not sure if I would know how to work with something that was not my own creation, I should give it a try.
    Thank you for your artful beauty.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete