23 April 2013

Lilliput

 
One of the things that I've been thinking about when it comes to our tiny barn...is what to name it....yeah...I'm weird like that. I've always loved old movies....and when I was small, one of my favorites was Gulliver's Travels from 1939. I remember watching the movie and loving that the island he washed up on was called Lilliput. I thought the name would be appropriate for our little barn...because it's just that...little.
 
 
I've also been going through my decor books and after looking through Christina Strutt's book, Romantic Home Sewing, I do believe I've found my inspiration....Christina's own little tree house...it even has a tree growing through it...how cool is that! I love that it's simple, white and rustic with pops of color....it's just what I'm going for. I'm thinking it'll be my little piece of english country right here in the midwest.
 
Oh...and did you happen to notice how beautiful the colors are in the photo of Gulliver's Travels....pale blues, whites and shades of red....coincidence?

13 comments:

  1. I love the idea of naming your barn. We have a home in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico, and everyone names their homes in Mexico. I love it! Ours is Casa Cielo, which means "sky" or "heaven." All homes there have an address plaque with the name of their home rather than an address at the entrance. Cannot wait to see your transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. J'aime tout comme vous donner des noms aux choses que j'aime particulièrement. Un arbre que je viens de planter, un objet qui m'est cher... Mon vieil olivier, je l'ai prénommé Angel... mon atelier c'est la dollhouse.
    Je me retrouve totalement en vous !
    Un très joli billet.
    gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures? Pictures? We need to see pictures of your sweet Lilliput, Andrea! lol! Love the idea of naming your darling new barn!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to meet Lilliput! Party soon? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think one could ever go wrong with Cabbage Roses....all of it is so pretty. Looking forward to seeing your Lilliput.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I noticed those colors...in fact I have that exact same quilt. I purchased mine at a shop in Coronado, CA when I lived in the area many many years ago. I'm excited to your beautiful barn...what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a perfect name for a little barn. I believe one of the little lodges on Rachel Ashwell's Prairie is called Lilliput Lodge. Cabbages & Roses makes my heart smile. Look forward to seeing your barn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great name for a sweet little barn. Love your colors. Also, love anything with cabbage roses.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This inspirational illustration seems like a beautiful resource for a decorating start! Would love to see you style emerge in your sweet barn soon--- share some pics for us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I am a bigger namer, too. It took me years to find the perfect name for my car. Still pondering on my house's name.

    I love Christina Strutt, too. I have all her books, but none of her fabrics yet. Must remedy that...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Andrea,
    It is going to look amazing!!! Can I come and live there? :)
    Your spread turned out gorgeous and I can't wait for you to see it!!!
    Hope you have a great weekend.
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Andrea! I own that book and it is gorgeous!!!
    I've made about 4 of the hobo bag pattern out of it too...for gifts! Love it and the photos are dreamy!
    I cant wait to see your photos of your barn!
    have fun! I will be painting and decorating a shabby shed that my hubby is going to be making for me very shortly..Im excited too!

    All my heart,
    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet idea to name your barn!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete