04 March 2013

Homemade Granola Bars


 
I've really enjoyed finding...and trying new recipes via Pinterest....and this past weekend I tried my hand at homemade granola bars.
 
They turned out amazing. Everyone in my family loved them....even the picky ones. 
 
The great thing about this recipe is that it takes just a few ingredients....it's customizable and super easy....enough said.
 
Ready to try your hand at it.....
 
Chewy Homemade Granola Bars
 
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips

Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on opposite sides to lift the bars out afterward. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine the oats and rice cereal in a heatproof bowl. Add the brown sugar, honey, and butter to a small saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture to a simmer then reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for 1 more minute. Turn off the heat under the pan and stir in the vanilla extract.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir with a rubber spatula until well combined - the dry ingredients should all be moistened. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Spread in an even layer and press to compact (you really want to compact the mixture or your granola bars will be crumbly). Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the mixture and lightly press down on them with the spatula to compact.

Allow to set for at least 2 hours. (I transferred mine to the fridge briefly to speed things up and make them easier to cut.) Use the foil handles to lift out then cut into bars. Individually wrap the granola bars with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
 


12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a delicious recipe! I want to try this I am sure they taste so much better than store bought and much healthier too!Thank you for sharing!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try homemade granola bars! Your styling makes them look divine ;) I will have to put this on my baking list for the week!
    Love your new "header" too! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. You can find the best stuff on pinterest!!!!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. danke für das leckere rezept und die bilder dazu!!! alles liebe von angie aus deutschland

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely delicious! Also loved your previous post on The Little Paris Kitchen, which is a series that I so enjoyed last year here in England.

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooooo delicious! Thanks for this inspiration! I wish you a lovely week! With love, Geli

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so yummy! Will have to give them a try soon. :)
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm....these sound (and look!) so good!!!

    I have started a new blog in conjunction with my Etsy shop and wondered if you would like to exchange links? I will go ahead and put your link on my blog and hope that you will do the same. You may remember me from Make Mine Pink....I was Cozy Cottage Gifts and Decor. :)

    Thanks,
    Debbie @ Deb's Cozy Cottage http://debscozycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just about to hit up Pinterest for a granola bar recipe. Perfect timing, these look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! They look fabulous!
    Thank you!
    I cant wait to give them a try!
    Lovely shot too!

    All my heart,
    Deborah xoxo

    ReplyDelete