26 March 2013

Dulce de Leche Roll

 
I know I've been sharing more recipes than usual on my blog....I hope you don't mind....but this is a good one. It's like a traditional jelly roll...but I used dulce de leche instead of jelly on the inside....which makes it pretty darn yummy if you ask me.
 
So...here's today's recipe....
 
Dulce de Leche Roll
(cake recipe adapted from delish.com)
 
Ingredients
 
3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar, plus extra sugar for the cake transfer
2 tablespoons milk, heated
3/4 cups self-rising flour
1/2 can dulce de leche, directions on how to make below
powdered sugar, if desired
 
Directions
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch by 12-inch jelly roll pan; line base with parchment paper, extending the paper 2 inches over the short sides.
 
Beat egg whites in a bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until dissolved between additions. With motor running, add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until mixture is pale and thick; this will take about 10 minutes.
 
Pour hot milk down the side of the bowl; add triple-sifted flour. Working quickly, use a plastic spatula to fold milk and flour through egg mixture. Pour mixture into pan, gently spread evenly into corners.
 
Bake cake about 8 minutes.
 
Meanwhile, place a piece of parchment paper cut the same size as the pan on counter; sprinkle evenly with the extra sugar.
 
Turn the cake immediately onto the sugared paper; peel away lining paper. Use a serrated knife to trim the crisp edges from all sides of the cake.
 
Using paper as a guide, gently roll warm cake loosely from one of the short sides. Unroll; spread evenly with the dulce de leche. Reroll cake from the short side. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if you'd like. Cool.
 
Dulce de Leche
 
To make the dulce de leche just boil an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk for 2 1/2 hours...make sure to keep adding water to the pot as it will evaporate.
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Love dulce de leche ice cream so I have to like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful Kathleen.I have always wanted to try this.But always I would ruin it when rolling it.I will have to give this a try.I looks wonderful!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen,
    Ok Yum!!!! I am going to try this one. Thanks for sharing.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello dear Kathleen!
    Hmmm... thanks for your deliciouse recipe!
    I wish you happy easter with your family!
    With love, Geli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne @ SimplySuzannesATHome
    It looks delish! I made a Carrot Cake Roulade for Easter.
    Roulades make for a pretty holiday dessert!

    ReplyDelete