04 January 2011

The Marshmallow Recipe

After getting quite a few emails and comments yesterday about my marshmallows....I thought I'd come back today to share the recipe with you.

The recipe is courtesy of Martha Stewart.....and you can find it here....or down below. I hope you'll try it. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out....I thought marshmallows would be some complicated....rocket science kinda recipe...but it's far from it.


via

Vanilla Marshmallows

Makes about 16 large marshmallows


Ingredients

Nonstick cooking spray
3 (1/4-ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, plus 1 vanilla bean, scraped
Confectioners' sugar, sifted, for coating

Directions

1. Lightly spray a 9-by-9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides; set aside.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand for 10 minutes. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water. Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil; boil rapidly for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and, with the mixer on high, slowly pour the boiling syrup down the side of the mixer bowl into gelatin mixture. Add salt and continue mixing for 12 minutes.

3. Add vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds; mix until well combined. Spray a rubber spatula or your hands with cooking spray. Spread gelatin mixture evenly into pan using prepared spatula or your hands. Spray a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place, spray side down, on top of marshmallows. Let stand for 2 hours.

4. Carefully remove marshmallows from pan. Remove all plastic wrap and discard. Cut marshmallows into 2-inch squares using a sprayed sharp knife. Place confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Working in batches, add marshmallows to bowl and toss to coat. Marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container up to 3 days.

Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Homemade marshmallows? I would've never even thought that possible. Leave it to Martha! You were brave to try it.
    I just read your post about cooking dinner. I feel EXACTLY the same way. I might make the "pb&j or nothing" rule if my daughter refuses to eat what I fix. Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those marshmallows look so good! I bet they taste much better fresh... maybe I will get brave and try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so yummy! I am going to trwithin with my kids this weekend. Thank you for sharing. We put our Christmas decor away but left the hot chocolate dispay out.
    I'm enjoying my new bag.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~~****~~YuMmY~~****~~! Hugs,Rachel ;)

    French Farmhouse 425

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homeade marshmallows are the bomb! So glad that you enjoyed yourself and relaxed over the holidays :)
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Andrea for posting the recipe! I'm hosting a girl's evening with desserts and hot chocolate and tea this week. I'm excited to make your homemade marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, Andrea.....I can see you doing a recipe book next.....right? lol!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound delicious and look wonderful. I have never thought about making homemade marshmellows. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I am going to make these TOMORROW! I have always wanted to make homemade marshmallows .. but never have!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Cow! Now you have taken to making marshmallows!!?? I think we may have just stumbled on Martha Stewart's replacement!

    They look yummy, Dude. I'll take one and a Hot Chocolate...do you deliver??

    Oh, and did you get my emails??

    W.T.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm...sounds yummy. I should make some for my daughter, she's a marshmallow fanatic :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look delish...I just love marshmallows...yummy! ~Deb~

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet blog! And you have goats too? Oh you are my kinda gal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've made these many many many times - I highly recommend toasting them over a fire and making smores. It's heaven!

    ReplyDelete