29 September 2010

A Little Before And After

I thought I'd show you one of the outside projects we've been working on....

Above is our garage when we bought our home....it's a huge (1600 square feet) building right next to our home and to me..... has always looked like a shop with it's big rv garage door and not much personality. Not to mention the parking lot driveway....it was just a huge area covered in crushed rocks....I never liked it....as this is the side of the house you pull up to and I didn't want a parking lot to greet my many guests...I say that sarcastically...as we never have guests.

So we opted to have crushed asphalt layed....I like that it's darker and doesn't have any of the dust the other crushed rocks had.

We also had the cinder block wall removed (you can see a little bit of it in the first photo) and in it's place had this granite wall put in....can I just say I love this wall...it adds so much character to this space....and at 8 feet tall...presence too.


And here are some of the change we made to try and give it a more carriage house feel. We had the rv doors removed and lowered the header so that we could have a regular size door installed...and to fill up the empty space above the doors...a window and shutters. We chose carriage doors and iron hinges and handles to also add to the carriage house effect. We also added big black carriage lights...to replace the ugly gold brass ones...yuk. And to top it off....a cupola with a copper roof.


You also may have noticed that we had grass installed in front of the second door and made the driveway more narrow. We decided to have grass there because this is where we watch our movies outside...we just throw the quilts on the grass and we're good to go...it sure beats sitting on gravel. Oh...and we're going to be adding an arbor around the doors on the grass so that we can grow a vine over it and hang our movie screen from it. As for the driveway...we use the left garage doors for our cars... so we really didn't need the driveway to be so wide (the other garage door is where we keep Lulu our 1949 Ford Tractor).

So that's what we've been up to.

and just a quick photo of what our driveway looked like about 4 months ago.


There's still much to do....we have a to-do list a mile long....but I gotta tell you....I like having a to-do list....I like seeing our thumbprint on this home....I like eagerly awaiting our next project....because with every project done....with every flower planted....it's becoming more and more ours.

42 comments:

  1. i love the garage doors. someday i will get doors like that. we just put chushed asphalt in a couple of our machine sheds. it's really nice compared to regular gravel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a difference! Amazing what the new garage doors can make and I love that you have movie nights out there, sounds like so much fun (;

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an amazing transformation. I love watching a vision become reality - all in the matter of minutes for us readers! You make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a huge difference! It looks amazing. I love that stone wall! That is so neat that you guys have movie night outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fantastic!! I adore the grassy area where you watch movies. What a fun thing to do! Beautiful transformation. You guys did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You turned a very ordinary-looking building into something extraordinary. Fabulous. I love the new wall too. Keep the inspiration coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a difference, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the doors & the cupola too
    & the wall
    & lanterns
    actually, who am i fooling, it ALL looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice, Andrea. I would love to have a garage like yours... ahh, to dream of the many items I could store inside. Such a beautiful building for sure. We don't have guests either, so I get your remark all too well ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~*Wow Andrea I LOVE it!!! Such a cozy looking garage~ I dont think I've ever said a garage looks cozy..but yours does!!lol..Looking forward to my purchases from you at your Etsy shop!! :) Hugs,Rachel~*~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the changes - very farmhousey now :) I would love to have garage doors like yours too....oh and the cupola is a cute touch!
    How fun that you all have outdoor movie night - you should find some vintage drive-in speakers to put outside for effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been busy...I love love it all...it is amazing what one can do to add adorability around ones home.

    Fall Hugs to you my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ..Truly amazing transformation...what a difference!...
    You have done a great jpb making your outside as much you as the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I love the transformation! Looks like a plantation style home (I mean garage!!) That wall is awesome and the grass does wonders! I might have to suggest this to my hubby for our garage makeover!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! It looks wonderful Andrea! I am so jealous of the space! We are dreaming of a workshop that size! I just love your style!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. it looks really charming!! love it! susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Love it all! And so much room, all that space, I just don't know what to say, it's a a dream just to have so much space and everything is so beautiful too, amazing!
    I just realize I find myself amazed every single time I visit your blog.
    Have fun with all your future projects, I'm sure they will be amazing too and I'm eagerly awaiting the result on your blog.
    Bye,
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! The carriage doors and the stone wall have added so much character. The cupola is the icing on the cake. Nice, very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful ... great transformation from ho-hum garage to fabulous carriage house. Great details!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Andrea, you have added so much personality to your garage. The grass and stone wall are perfect and the new doors too. I can't wait for the arbor and all-I just picture hanging out for movies there. Fun!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great transformation. I love your garage doors and your little cupola :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Andrea....love it. It looks like a totally different building. Love the stone wall and the cupola.
    And as I said in my email to you, love my package that you sent me from etsy...so awesome.
    gail
    adventuresininnkeeping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. The outside looks great. So often we forget about the outside of our homes because we get so busy inside. You made some great changes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always get lost in your blog, it's beautiful!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful job you two have done! I love the look and the rock wall is splendid. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh it has so much character now. I just love it!! And Lulu...how cute is that ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it all...it is so pretty...and welcoming...you all did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. that is an adorable redo! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love what you've done with the place! What a makeover. Who would have thought a garage could look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Perfect! what a great transformation~ The wall was an awesome idea.

    Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great transformation! wow, love it, I could live in it...as that is about as big as a house you would get in our neck of the woods, being so pretty for a reasonable penny!! love the feel of the grass too, makes it more comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pretty sure I'm in LOVE with your garage. Love all the details you've add and of course the simple black and white color combo. Best looking garage I've seen in a longggggg time. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Andrea ~
    I hope your thrilled with your results, I love your new look it's rustic, and quite fitting for Faded Plains...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the garage doors. It looks so good. Great job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh i'm wishing for your driveway... i love crushed rock! and your garage doors are gorgeous! great job and what a welcoming sight to come home to.
    xo,
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  36. Holy cow:) Can I live in your garage?? That's an awesome redo!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh an that little window up high is just screaming for a canopy! How cute is this "garage"!

    Love it

    ReplyDelete
  38. Andrea,
    Yet another amazing makeover...whatever will you do next? Love the carriage doors!

    Best wishes,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  39. Andrea, what a difference! The whole garage area looks fantastic! Just love the stone wall you put in and every detail, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow!!! This is awesome!! Just beautiful! You have been busy. I think you did a great job giving it a "carriage house feel." :)

    ReplyDelete