04 December 2009

A Little Project

Last week, we had new french doors installed right off our kitchen. Well...with boys running in and out all day....I soon realized....I needed a doorstop....or I'd be paying for new doors...again.

So...this is what I came up with. An idea I saw somewhere...at some point...I believe it was Cath Kidston. A rice door stop.

I went through my fabrics...chose three coordinating patterns and got busy.

1. Cut six 7 inch squares...2 of each pattern....making the finished project a 6 inch cube.

2. Put the pretty sides together and sew.

3. This is how it will look as your sewing the fabric squares together. Make sure you place the fabrics in the correct place on the cube....the same patterns should be opposite each other.

4. Here's what your cube will look like when your all done sewing. Make sure to leave a little opening to turn the cube inside out and add the rice.

5. Turn your cube inside out...fill with rice...and hand stitch the small opening close.

And there you have it....a sweet door stop.


22 comments:

  1. love that idea!!!
    Have a great weekend -

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO clever!!! i love the fabrics you used...it's as pretty as it is functional:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative and smart you are, my friend. Could you come rub off on me just a little.

    Thanks for sharing and God bless you abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I love that!! You are so hand y and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable...love the rice idea for filler!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I just love the fabrics. I bet you are loving your doors. We are putting french doors in our dining room early next year, I can hardly wait!

    Have a great weekend!

    -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing!!! So cute and what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very pretty, and so much more satisfying than buying one. I like that you've used three different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so creative!!! Love the fabric and what a great idea for a door stop. Happy weekend!

    xx, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable, I love the mix of fabrics and its a great idea...i am a wee bit jealous of your french doors though...**sigh**

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a cool idea! Leave it to the Brits they no how to make things so charming. I wish I had French doors so I could do this project? Very Pretty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great project idea, Andrea. Wow, sounds like lots of changes in your home, lately (love French doors!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great idea! I love French doors. We looked into it for our house but we have an oversize slider and they were going to be like $7000!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love both your idea and your fabric choices! Will try this too! :) Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! How creative you are! :)

    xo,
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I just found your blog from LifeInTheFunLane. I'm glad I did. The doorstop is a really cute idea. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect! Just what I was looking for to add to my cushion collection at the next National Trust Fair.
    Thanks Jane

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I was just googling about door stops and yours came up to me! Now, I will give it a try! It's windy where I live and this project is just perfect for what I was looking for...a bit of silence, just listening to the wind blowing instead of doors slaming! Thanks for the DIY! Cheers, Lidice

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! I was just googling about door stops and yours came up to me! Now, I will give it a try! It's windy where I live and this project is just perfect for what I was looking for...a bit of silence, just listening to the wind blowing instead of doors slaming! Thanks for the DIY! Cheers, Lidice

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! I was just googling about door stops and yours came up to me! Now, I will give it a try! It's windy where I live and this project is just perfect for what I was looking for...a bit of silence, just listening to the wind blowing instead of doors slaming! Thanks for the DIY! Cheers, Lidice

    ReplyDelete